Saturday, April 2, 2011

My journey with the tomato - a love / hate relationship

When I was growing up I hated tomatoes.  I would take them off every sandwich and would specifically ask that they not be included in anything I ordered (that pulpy seed business just gets everywhere)!

As I grew up, I grew to love tomatoes.  Once I tasted delicious, red, luscious tomatoes and not the orange, unripe kind, it opened up my world.  This summer I was actually even in upstate NY and found myself in the farmers market admiring all of the different colored heirloom tomatoes.  Red, yellow, green, even purple!  I would slice them up, throw on a little fleur de sel and eat'em - yum!

I'm also a huge fan of tomato based sauces - delicious marinara, decadent bolognese... I love italian cooking and early on in my pregnancy, I was eating TONS of spaghetti and tomato sauce.  It was very disappointing to me when I entered my second trimester and encountered heartburn / indigestion after pizza and later had a pasta incident.  The doctor told me to lay off acidic foods and thus I had to stop eating tomato and tomato-based sauces. How sad!

Now lets talk about yesterday... it was a pretty good day!  I woke up, ate my luna bar and felt well enough to get out of bed without my kytril.  I showered and was ready to go to work in record time! I go to leave the apartment, open the front door and put my arm out to stop the door from hitting me so that I can reach down and pick up The Wall Street Journal that now arrives much later than my husband leaves for work.  Unfortunately, my pregnancy brain forgot to remind me that our building was painting the outside of our front door that morning, so I got paint all over my coat, hand, etc... awesome.  Thanks to the lovely painters and some smelly paint thinner we got my coat clean and I was off to work.   All in all, the work day went really well.  Had a bunch of productive meetings, got alot accomplished and at night my husband met me downtown where we had dinner at Bubbies in Tribeca with A, her husband J and little cutie H (who at 8 weeks, was very well behaved, just sleeping in his car seat or just looking around the whole time).  Wonderful start to the weekend!

Woke up this morning and started my typical ritual... reached for my Luna and started munching.  Played on my iPhone a bit and discovered on one of my many pregnancy tracker apps that at 19 weeks our baby is now the size of an heirloom tomato.  I'm thinking I LOVE heirloom tomatoes... It's gonna be a good day.  After lying in bed for a while I'm thinking I can get up and start the day... WRONG... The second I stand up my mouth fills with nasty, acidic puke... I reach for the Ziplock and the flood gates open.  Barf Barf Barf... And my hope is dashed...

I've always had a tumultuous relationship with the tomato and I guess the drama continues...

2 comments:

  1. So the fetus went from a pukey pepper to a pukey tomato in the course of a week. It's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I am nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award, which was passed down to me by another blogger aarongraham. If you decide to accept the award you will have three rules to fulfill. You will find the details about the rules and your blog post's mention here: http://krithikac.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/paying-it-forward/

    I really did enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete